Friday, March 20, 2009

This Ship has found her Port...

Hello to all!
I have been ported! That's is the common lingo for the apherisis catheter apparently - 'the port'. If you want to be part of the cool crowd in oncology, you have to have a port! :)
The procedure was really a non-event. (Tylenol 3's on Wednesday and Thursday took care of most discomfort issues) I was there @ the hospital at 7:15 am and home by 1pm but the actual surgery was really no more than a 1/2 hr - the beforehand time was getting an IV and getting set-up on the table and post-surgery was just to monitor for a while to make certain I didn't fall over when I did get up. Not due to sedation as I was awake through the whole thing (because they need you to hold your breath a couple times when they put the tube in the artery) but due to the versed they gave me. For those not in the know, versed is a nice little stress relaxing agent that makes all your worries go away - you feel very 'zen' as it flows through your veins and for a little while afterwards too. I was told not to sign any legal documents for 48 hrs as I would not be considered 'of sound mind'. The original benchmark was pretty low on that to begin with (haha) but I took their advice and chose not to sign over Hayden to the gypsies who rang my doorbell later that night...
Signing off for now - my very best to everyone - With lots of love:
Carey