Sunday, February 8, 2009

Back in the Saddle!

Hello my blog followers (hehehe!)!
Just over these past few days I have come to realize how many people are checking out this blog for updates and I thank you all for your interest and support!
Treatment #1 was Tuesday and it was a long day. We had to get to the hospital by 8am so it was any early day but we were prepared with our bags full of (for me) magazines, books, writing diary, i-pod and granola bars and (for Pete) various snacks and all his study material for his captain's test coming in late spring (Go Pete go!).


As I said, Tuesday was long. Juravinski is a beautiful updated cancer facility but its partnered hospital hit its prime a couple decades ago a least - ambiance is not a consideration BUT the nurses were friendly, efficient and the room was not filled so Pete was able to sit with me the whole day. The only 2 nasty bits were, as usual, they could not find a decent vein in me so they blasted a few more in my hands (I am dreadfully curious about what they will do this Tuesday!) and one of the chemo drugs (The "G") was particularly 'spicy' so it burned going in for most of the time but again the nurses were compassionate and wrapped my arm in a warm and heavy blanket to relieve some of the sensation.
We finished up before 5pm but after getting enough pharmaceuticals to make a junkie proud over @ Juravinski were weren't home until after 6.
That night I was okay - able to eat a nice dinner and then...CRASSSSSHHHHH! Between the nausea, anti-nausea meds, kidney protection drugs, pain meds, steroids, etc. I have been in a blur until yesterday. On Saturday I was feeling tired but able to get a good decent shower and out of the house for an afternoon visit to the in-laws (Happy bday Derek!). It was good to get out for those hours as I had not even been down the stairs since Tuesday and my walls were closing in on me.

Today is Sunday the 8th and I am feeling okay. The weather looks fantastic so we are even going to try and get a walk around the block - something short to see how it goes. It's hard to describe yesterday and today. I am not sleepy anymore -just so very tired and distracted mentally - like I have chemo-ADD or something. My thoughts are fragmented a bit...it could be the steroids. My doc did mention they could effect your thoughts rolling around in your head (as in flickering from one to the next at lightening speed or zoning into my own dimension!! :) ).
Monday is my bloodtests and Dr.'s appt. to determine if my bloodcounts are high enough to get my next treatment. I will know if this coming Tuesday in 'a go' then.

Listen, to everyone, I have received so many kind emails and words of support and it is really helping me rally through this! Thanks - thank you.
Now, to get my lazy bum away from this computer and get dressed for that walk!
All the best to you all -merci.
Carey